Saturday, February 2, 2019

Kalakshetra and the Katha

Kalakshetra!


This place in Chennai has been in my places to visit since last year(2018). Thanks to Raji Aunty, who made a combo offer of visiting the venue plus the wonderful opportunity to listen to Mrs. Visaka Hari's Hari katha ! How could I miss such a wonderful opportunity.



The entrance welcomes us with beautiful Kolams

In front of the Rukmini Arangam


Walking through the venue was like walking in a garden. The campus is a famous spot in chennai known for its ARTISTIC TOUCH with its contribution to the traditional dance forms especially!!. Yes. I need not talk about the great Madam Rukmini Arundale, people already know volumes about them.
I must agree that I could not take my eyes off those pretty girls in Traditional attires of Bharathanatyam and sarees with a well tied hair, big maroon Bindi on their forehead.  The campus was calm and well maintained. The auditorium (Rukmini Rangam) also carried the same poise as the venue, serene and I quite likes the stage set up! The chairs were all made of bamboo sticks everything looked eco friendly.


 The Topic for the Katha on the day was "Trinity of Carnatic Music". I just love listening to Visaka Manni. I admire the way she tells the story, relates to various topics and makes us actually taste the emotion, the feel of every bhava!. Student of the Great Lalgudi Jayaraman sir, I admire and respect her attitude. Not all can carry such a knowledge with humility. Hats off. I have become quite a fan of her. Listening is the best way to gain knowledge. That is why our education system from age old days had been via listening through ears and has been carried forward. Felt like I attended a un-tiring lively lecture demonstration class of Music

I need to re-listen to the recording to remember lot of things..
But few of the points that really grabbed my attention are her

1. Presentation of Simmanandhana Thalam.
2. Explanation on the way of handling of Sri Thyagarajar Krithis
3. The new Ragas composed by Shyama sastri and rendition of the raga

It was definitely a full meal feast for me that evening and I happily returned home wondering how these people accomplish great things! One thought definitely stuck me.. They did not do seeking Greatness! They sang all these experiencing GOD, loving GOD and so, anything with GOD as the target doesn't need proof of Greatness. It is GREATNESS itself:). For GOD loving them back is seen by the greatness they achieve in the minds of people.

Any great thing that is achieved in this world was never done with achieving greatness as the Goal. The Goal was GOD/ selfless ness that makes them Great!

No comments: